Nokkers (ノッカー), or Knockers in Kodansha's simulpub version, are unknown creatures that were created to impede Fushi's progress in preserving the world. The Beholder named them "Nokkers" because they "Knock on the doors of paradise, seeking its destruction." The Nokkers main goal in the story, is to "Free" everyone, by helping them to get rid of their heavy bodies.
Nokkers are creatures that were created by an unknown being for the purpose of hindering Fushi's progress in preserving the world. The Beholder also said that they have been designed to weaken Fushi by stealing the vessels (bodies) he has gathered.
A Nokker's main form resembles long, presumably sharp, vines. However, they adapt to their environment and take on various other forms - forms stolen from Fushi. When in the forest, the Nokkers took on the appearance of vines and leaves. At Rynn's house and on Jananda, it took on the appearance of rocks.
- The Nokkers have the ability to steal Fushi's forms, along with his memories of that form. For example. when the Nokkers steal March's form from Fushi, he is completely unable to remember her. He isn't even aware that anything was stolen from him.
- They adapt to their environment and are constantly studying and learning about the world around them. When Fushi first encounters the Nokkers in the forest, it is made up of vines and leaves. The next time he encounters one on the island of Jananda, it is made up of rock.
- The Nokkers are able to control a person's body, whether they are dead or alive.
- They can communicate through telepathy
Means of Killing
There are means of killing the Nokkers, doing so will return Fushi's Memories and forms to him, the main weakness is the destruction of their cores, and this can be done in various ways.
- Fire, seems to be a very nice way of killing them, as it burns the core.
- Crushing in hand, as seen when Fushi took on March's form, in their first encounter.
- Piercing, so long as the Nokker's core is unprotected, they are easily killed with a simple pierce.
A name referring to the Nokker that has been with Hayase since she left Jananda. This Nokker first appeared to her on the boat Fushi left her on in the middle of the ocean. Somehow, this Nokker attached itself to Hayase's arm and has been passed down her bloodline ever since.
This Nokker is clearly different from the average Nokkers, capable of understanding its host and appearing to have a mind of its own. Whether the ability to understand a host's body only applies to Hayase and her descendants is currently unknown. It is also unknown what exactly this Nokker's goal is.
- This Nokker can communicate with its host body, but act on its own when in danger. This can be seen when the Nokker attacking Tonari broke Hisame’s arm and finger to run away.
- This Nokker's main purpose aside from destroying other Nokkers is to sense and track Fushi.
- Kahak can utilize this Nokkers power, giving him superhuman strength.
- This Nokker writes to tell Fushi about the Nokkers' objectives and tell its friend's (other Nokkers) locations.
In the Modern Era, Nokkers have evolved to become microscopic in size and seem to dwell inside the bodies of those who wish to die.
These dwelling Nokkers are categorized into three states:
- Fully-merged — completely taken over the human body leaving the spirit to wander or move on to paradise.
- Half-merged — the Nokker is awakened and takes over the person's consciousness sometimes.
- Carrier — the Nokker is inside the body but is hibernating.